Crawley Green 2

Harependen 2 

Molten Spartan South Midlands League
Harpenden Town v Crawley Green
Two goalkeeping howlers, a dubious penalty and diabolical refereeing robbed Crawley in a 3-2 defeat at the hands of Harpenden Town.
Crawley opened the scoring after 12 minutes when Jon Barnett's free kick was turned in at the far post by Rian MacDonald.  The game turned in the 67th minute when a linesman flagged for a very dubious penalty against Chris Harvey and Chris Gregory made no mistake from the spot.  Stand in keeper Scott Bates then made his first mistake after 77 minutes when he dropped an innocuous shot at the feet of James Hardy who duly converted from close range.  Crawley surged forward and drew level 7 minutes later through John Cooper who latched on to a through ball from Rian MacDonald to score from 10 yards.
Crawley were then denied a clear cut penalty in the 90th minute when Aaron Wilson was wrestled to the ground by the Harpenden keeper.  The referee ignored Crawley's protests and a minute later Scott Bates managed to repeat his earlier error when he again dropped the ball at the feet of James Hardy who secured all 3 points for Harpenden.  To add insult to injury Scott Bates also got a parking ticket for failing to pay and display in the local car park.          
In mid week Crawley Green gained a hard earned point in a 2-2 draw against London Colney.
Crawley dominated the early stages and man of the match Tom Freeman opened the scoring after 5 minutes when a miss kick from Robbie O'Dell fell kindly for Freeman to finish from close range.  Crawley doubled their advantage after 17 minutes when Chris Harvey headed in a Rian MacDonald free kick and minutes later Aaron Wilson should have put Crawley 3 up when he went through with just the keeper to beat but he failed to hit the target. 
Colney made the most of this let off and got back into the game with a Dave Parkinson goal 2 minutes from half time.  It took only 8 minutes after the break for Colney to draw level.  Danny Fitzgerald took full advantage of Crawley's slack marking and finished well from 10 yards.
Crawley suffered an injury blow to Stefan McNeilly after 75 minutes and it took 10 minutes to stretcher the unfortunate McNeilly from the pitch.
Both sides continued to create chances and Luke Singleton and Aaron Wilson both had opportunities to secure a win for Crawley although a draw was probably a fair result on the night.
At the moment Crawley have no fixture next Saturday.

Match reporter this week Mr Alan Clark



Tel: 01582 700883

Copyright 2003 Crawley Green Sports & Social Club. All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval
system or transmitted in any form or by any means of electronic, photocopying or otherwise without written consent of the publishers.